Community Service Experience
- MI City Council 2017 to current; MI Deputy Mayor (2018-2019)
- Served on the following Boards, Commissions & Committees:
- Sustainability Committee
- Finance Committee
- Mercer Island Library Board
- Town Center Council Working Group
- Youth Family Services (MIYFS) Sub-Committee
- Arts Council
- WRIA-8, Salmon Recovery Council
- King County Growth Mgmt Planning Council (GMPC)
- King County Flood Control Board
- Renton Airport Advisory Council (RAAC)
- Salim Nice is President and Chief Executive Officer and brings more than 20 years of government reimbursement and tax experience to Healthcare Reimbursement Solutions (HRS). Salim is passionate about leading teams, focusing on the details, and executing on a plan.
- Salim has distinguished himself with a career in operations and technology, leading teams to deliver or develop solutions that have transformed how hospitals leverage government data.
- Salim has overseen the recovery of more than $1B by US Hospital providers and has been a trailblazer in identifying new reimbursement opportunities. Salim was the first to seek and successfully obtain reimbursement for Medicare Reimbursable Bad Debt from Medicare Part C Carriers.
- Salim’s background in technology led him to develop Stingray, a computerized system of processing mass transactions against Medicare’s Direct Data Entry (DDE) system. Salim co-authored the patent application and oversaw the continued development of the technology as it surpassed $100M of recovery. Hospitals now rely on this technology to accurately file shadow-bills for Indirect Medical Education and Graduate Medical Education (IME/GME) and to recover lost reimbursement from Transfer DRG (TDRG) claims.
- Salim co-founded and served as SVP, COO, CTO at Healthcare Payment Specialists LLC. He grew the company from three employees to more than 85, finally selling the business along with his partner, Peter Jarvis to TransUnion in 2018
- Salim is a member of Healthcare Financial Management Associates (HFMA) and the American Health Law Association (AHLA) and has spoken about hospital-based reimbursement issues at various events around the country.
Councilmember Nice and his wife, Janice, a long-time Island resident, enjoy skiing, cycling, and frequenting Mercer Island’s beautiful parks with their young son.
My passion for Mercer Island is personal. Three generations of my family call Mercer Island home. We know first-hand how important it is to – Live, Work and Play on Mercer Island.